A successful farmer and rancher, Senator Jim Nielsen grew up on a small farm in the San Joaquin Valley and graduated from Fresno State with a Bachelor’s degree in Agricultural Business. After college, Jim worked as a ranch foreman and operated the family cattle, field and row-crop ranch. Elected to the State Senate in January 2013, Senator Nielsen proudly represents the citizens of Butte, Colusa, Glenn, Placer, Sacramento, Sutter, Tehama and Yuba counties. He serves as Chair of the Senate Committee on Veterans Affairs and Vice Chair of the Senate Budget & Fiscal Review. He serves as a member of the Senate Committees on Appropriations and Health. Nielsen was originally elected to the State Senate in 1978 and served as Republican Leader from 1983 to 1987. In 1990, he was appointed chairman of the California Board of Prison Terms, where he served until 2007. He was elected in November 2008 to represent the North State’s 2nd Assembly District in the State Legislature.
- Trailblazers Candidates, Alumni Successful in Key California Races
- Trailblazer Candidate Bill Essayli Elevated to ‘Trailblazer’ Status
- Trailblazer Candidate Henry Nickel Elevated to ‘Pathfinder’ Status
- Trailblazer Candidate Justin Mendes Achieves ‘Trailblazer’ Status
- Trailblazer Candidate Frank Scotto Elevated to ‘Trailblazer’ Status